Monday, February 25, 2008

MM - Childhood Phases

Who out there hasn't had an "ugly phase"? Or the "gawky" years? Has anyone had a FEW phases? Oh, don't worry I have and I'm going to show them to you! Although, I have to do them one phase at a time or otherwise my esteem might take a big hit! So here's me in 1st grade, cute huh? Yep, I did start off looking cute and then.....

I decided to get a haircut in 4th grade, I told the stupid super cuts girl to cut it in a bob, like Dorothy Hamil's hair. Well, she gave me this.....and thus began the ugly years!!! Oh, and I started chunking out for some reason, probably ate too many twinkies!
Then, I was still looking not-so-cute in 7th grade! Do you love the chubby cheeks and braces? Not a good combo for anyone!!
Ok, then I blossomed and kinda slimmed out and got my braces off and here I am as a Sophmore and I'm sad to report this cute phase only lasted a year! I'll post Junior Year to post mission next time...you're gonna love 'em!
I REALLY hope my kids don't go thru ugly phases, or atleast not multiple ones! It's tough enough being a kid and then to be teased for your cherubic cheeks, not fun!! Anyway, post if you dare some.... we'll call them "awkward" pics, it's fun to see the different phases of growing up.

15 comments:

♥Shally said...

I cut my hair in 4th grade too-- my ugly phase began there. I wanted a rat tail if that tells you anything!

Mama Williams said...

You are so cute to share all your growing up years. What is it about 4th grade? I cut my hair to a bob as well. I love the white sandals. I had some of those too. You're adorable!

kara jayne said...

I'm not sure there was EVER an ugly phase with you. I never saw it. I had the Dorothy Hamil in 4th grade too. I've already got the pics uploaded for a post about the many hairstyles of Kara! Can't wait to see more.

dave&abby johnson family said...

Sweet pics Mel! You look super cute! i love them.

Amy said...

Yeah, Melanie, I don't think you ever went through an awkward phase. Being constantly in awkward phases myself, you were one of the girls I envied throughout girlhood.

The Thomas Family said...

Who DOESN'T have nasty pictures through middle school. I certainly did.

Lisa Cannon said...

Melanie, you were and still are beautiful! My mom cut my hair like a boy, and it was in 4th grade too. Our mom's must have been watching the same show. Funny! Don't you just love the clothes we used to wear! We should do a post about that. It would be hilarious!

al + sar said...

honestly i went through the worst ugly phases! pretty sure im still in one! red mango is in fort union right by the new paradise and world market over by rio kind of. it really is so good! its not your typical ice-cream place so be open to new idea, but its so good and you dont feel bad eating it! try it out for sure!

Tibett said...

I love these pictures! You are much more daring than I am! I definitely had awkward phases and right around the same time...45h-5th grades. What a fun posting!

calibosmom said...

All I know is that I will NEVER cut any of my childrens hair on picture day....bad , bad memories!

Elly said...

Hmmm... I'm not sure those photos count as ugly-phase pictures, they're too cute. I think it's your happy cheeks. Maybe we should have an online un-beauty contest. :)

Kari said...

Loved the pics!! I think everyone can relate to cutting their hair off and then regretting it after!!

Sunny said...

I am cracking up. If you want to search down through my blog for the post I did for my sister for her birthday in December, I posted some extremely awkward pictures of her and I. I'm pretty sure these pictures will make you feel much better. :)

Anonymous said...

Mel I actually think the pic of you with braces and chubby checks is a cute picture. Remember growing up I always thought you were so pretty and would write you notes telling you how pretty you were? I just thought of that while looking at these pics.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Mel! I haven't looked at blogs forever, I got bored tonight and looked at yours! I LOVE these pics!! I am with Jo, I would always sit and admire you when you would tell us all of your stories when you got home from your dates! I always thought you were so beautiful!!! I hope you post some pics of the "ugly face game" that we used to play!! I sometimes play that game myself and I still pee my pants laughing! Good luck and congrats on the baby!!!! Laur is having twins... FINALLY! We will find out what they are next Thursday. Love ya!

Kel