Monday, February 4, 2008

Monday Memoirs - Our Beginning

I've decided to start a new thing to document our past and to keep things interesting on the Kirkland blog. I thought I'd start with how we met and our wedding - seems like a good place to begin.


Chris and I met in July 2004 at my singles ward Moab trip that I was in charge of. He called me on the phone the morning we were leaving to see if he could still come. He was transitioning from DC to California and was staying with his parents for a month. He had some friends in my ward that invited him to Moab. I thought he sounded cute on the phone and told him to come introduce himself to me in the parking lot - which he did and my notions were confirmed. Well, we didn't hang out much in Moab but after the trip he started coming to our ward and sitting on my row at church. Then we started hanging out on the weekends party hopping. About mid Sept we went to the temple with our ward and I thought he mouthed something in the temple to me about how he wanted me! I know, I was thinking not the place to confess these things, but hey I'll take it. Because at this point I had a major crush on him and he NEVER flirted with me so I didn't think he was interested at all. Well, it was a misunderstanding - he never said anything like that. He got it out of me afterwards and just gave me a courtesy hug - man did I feel stupid! About two weeks later we kissed and about 3 weeks after that we knew we wanted to get married!

We got engaged at Thanksgiving and were married on March 25, 2005. President Boyd K. Packer married us, he is my in-laws next door neighbor. Our reception was at a stake center near my house, we hung 100's of lights and really transformed it into something beautiful. We served dinner and had a band for dancing, Chris and I took lessons for our first dance. It was magical.

The next day at 5am, we left for Mexico on our honeymoon. What sweet memories it all was! Last night I dreamt about Chris and when we first met, I am so lucky to have found him, we have a great marriage and really have so much fun together. He makes me laugh so hard!
I love you Christopher and each day I'm SO grateful I found you!!






8 comments:

♥Shally said...

I am going to start the same thing (writing down some pre blogging memories). I was going to do "flashback fridays". Hopefully I will start soon-- I really want to document our "pre blogging" life!

Lisa Cannon said...

Thanks for sharing your story. You guys are so great and I am so happy that you found eachother!!

Jay and Bec said...

I love that Mel. I never knew the whole story! You are such a great-looking couple!

kara jayne said...

What a fun post!! You looked incredibly GORGEOUS in you wedding photo. Wait, that's every photo. I have always thought you were one of the best looking people I knew. Anyway, I'm so glad you guys found each other. I'd also love to know how you did all that fun a funky writing for the post!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Now I know how you met! You are really so beautiful! Great pictures!

Anonymous said...

Mel I just want to say...I am so glad you're my sister! Maybe one day in my life I will get lucky and get married...it will be a huge miracle!

The Thomas Family said...

Fabulous! You two are such a great couple! I loved reading that. I may have to copy you... but I don't have freaking hot pictures of Ben and I to complement the story :)

Cheryl said...

I love that you shared this! I feel like I was there - oh wait! I was! :) I love your story, esp. the mouthing of the words in the temple, that's my favorite! Love you guys.