Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Great S.E.M



This picture was just posted on my mission website (clydera.com) from our reunion in October- I served in the Scotland Edinburgh Mission. I loved my mission for so many reasons - the things I learned about myself, my testimony, faith and my ability to lead, the people I met, loved, taught and helped convert. I had the best companions and leaders that I served with. My mission president is like a father to me, he's even close with Chris. For those of you that didn't know me 10 years ago, I called off my wedding 10 days before I was to be married to a great guy but just knew in my heart that is wasn't the right thing for me. Two months later I was in the MTC on my to Scotland. I look back on the courage I had to do that and the 7 years after my mission before I met Chris and all the experiences I've had, the people I've met and I'm SO grateful for all the blessings I've received because of that decision (a huge one). I followed my heart and most of all the Spirit - i have no regrets! For those people that might be in a predicament - my advice to you is to have courage and trust yourself to do the right thing, even if it might seem hard.

6 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

What an experience you will cherish forever!! And congrats on following your heart and doing something hard (I didn't know you broke off an engagement.)

You look so beautiful, Mel!!

Cait said...

I didn't know that story either, very inspiring. And congratulations to you also, I hopefully find out what this little babe is on December 18th! I'm sure you girls both have cute bellies now... let's see some pictures!!!

Lisa Cannon said...

I remember when that happened! I too think you made a great choice. You would have missed out on so much. When do you find out what you are having??????

Beach Girl said...

Melanie!

It is so great to find you! Your sister lives in my Stake and I bump into her once in a while.

It is wonderful that you have such a great family. Thank you for sharing your experience on your blog. I remember when that all occured. You have always been an example of courage and integrity to me for the choice you made at that time. You are an incredible person and I am so happy to have found you once again!

kara jayne said...

I have so much respect for people who do the right thing when it's HARD!! I remember when I was waiting for Jenny to come pick me up to go to the temple for Lane's wedding 7 years ago. The phone rang and it was Lane...calling off the wedding. The first thing I thought was, "I'm so proud of her." I'm so glad your life has been so blessed for following the spirit!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Melanie, you and Chris came to my home in Alpine a couple years ago. I would love to get back in touch with you guys, but I can't locate a number or address. Please email me your info so we can get back in touch! Congrats on Baby No. 2!!!
Emily (Peterson) Gibb
byronandemily@juno.com