Monday, March 17, 2008

Monday Memoirs - What we've been up to....

...not much! I have 2 weeks left and my doctor is out of town this week ....so, no "tricks" to progress me along! Dang. I was at the gym this morning and while I was lifting I looked in the mirror and saw the worst puffy pregnancy face ever! Tonight at dinner we were taking pics of our yummy meal (recipe below) and I snapped this "good" pic of me. I know in a month or so I'll look back and realize how distorted my view of myself was, but for now, it's an okay pic of a 8 1/2 month pregnant girl. (sorry no body shot, that is a different matter!) Boy, do I look tired!!!
Here's my cute husband in his festive green shirt for St. Paddy's Day eating our favorite meal. I made this a couple of weeks ago and we've had it twice a week since. It's super easy:

Chicken Fettucine

Grill chicken breast, cut up and set aside.
Broil asparagus (or use broccoli - more popular with kids) with olive oil and S&P for 8 minutes, cut up and set aside.
In large saucepan pour in 1 pint of heavy whipping cream - season with salt and pepper and a handful of shredded parmesan cheese (the more aged, the better). Let cook on medium/high heat for 5-10 minutes. Add chicken and asparagus. Serve over fettucine noodles. We use the spinach kind and also sprinkle more parmesan cheese over top. Very easy, quick and yummy and probably really fattening too!

Oh, and kids love it too!!
Alexandra learned how to blow bubbles this last week, it's so fun to watch her blow them and get so excited about it! She's been saying "crap" today and "dang" the last few days. I am really enjoying these last few days with just her, she brings us SO much joy. Her laugh is so infectious!

She loves laying in the clean clothes and watching t.v - I let her do it because I think it's cute but I'm sure as time goes on I'll be annoyed by it!

Last night Chris organized a BYU Alumni fireside in our Daybreak Stake " A Temple in our Midst" with Robert J. Matthews. Last year we organized one with Truman G. Madsen, he was busy so we asked Bro. Matthews. I didn't go because I was feeling really pregnant and well, FAT! Anyway, we had a great turn-out and Chris said the message was great. Chris got David Tolk to play the piano which was amazing and he gave Chris a copy if his new CD that hasn't been released yet called "Grace". We listened to it last night, it's so pretty and inspiring. If you haven't heard his stuff, you need to check it out!

Saturday night we went out with some friends to dinner, we hired our first babysitter. We have had family watch Alex until now and we figured we should make the break. Well, she came at 6:30, Alex went to bed at 7:15 and she watched tv until 10. We had asked around and figured $3 an hour for one kid but to be safe, we asked her what she charges. She said $5 for 1 kid or 5 kids, her rate is flat. Feeling like we paid a little too much we thought we'd ask our Sunday School class yesterday how much they all charge. Mind you, the sitter we hired the other night is 12 and our class is 14-18. One girl said she gets paid $5/kid, so for 3 kids she makes $15/hr! That's more than most people make at their jobs!! Perhaps I am a little tight, but come one! There were a couple of girls that said they take what they get. Hmmm. Does anyone know the standard? We are new at paying people to babysit and want the best care for our Alex, but at the same time we have a budget to live by. Any suggestions???

Well, I ate another bag of Cadbury Mini Eggs, that's 3 and I'm debating whether I should pick up another one tomorrow! I have major groin pain, the baby has dropped and it seems like those little eggs make me forget my pain. I might refrain, it would be so tragic to gain as much weight in the last month as I did my whole pregnancy!! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Sarah here--
That is a cute picture of you! Especially taking it at arms length. I feel the same way... but I have about 5 weeks to go!! I can barely look at myself in the mirror. I try to make wise choices with food-- I weigh a few pounds more now than I did when I had Benson! yikes... but for me, the food helps with my moods so Ben appreciates it!

Eat the third bag. :)

♥Shally said...

One more week! Wow... life is a-changing soon!!

You should get a baby doll for Alexandra and give it to her when the baby is born. It really helped my twins to feel involved. They fed their babies when I fed mine, changed them when I did, etc. They loved it.

Good luck!

♥Shally said...

Oh-- and I agree with Sarah...

Just eat the bag already.

Jay and Bec said...

You look great Mel!! You are so close too--I bet you are getting really excited!! I agree that babysitting rates are ridiculous!! We are so glad that we can use Hannah and we use Jocelyn sometimes too! We can pretty much go out anytime, and pay NOTHING for a babysitter. You will get there in about 9 or 10 years-- until then, we always just asked what they charged, with 5 kids, it was never cheap! We did base it on whether the kids were awake or asleep, etc. Fun Fun! Good luck!

Cait said...

I for sure think you should pick up another bag! And Terry and I have the babysitter debate all the time! I think that 5 buck an hour is good, but it shouldn't go up $5 for every kid. Maybe like two bucks for every additional kid? See I want our babysitter to be happy and want her to want to come back, but I feel if we are cheep then they want to. So I don't know, but for sure having a babysitter makes you re-think ordering the most expensive meal on the menu!

Elly said...

1. I caught a passing glance at my fat pregnant face in the mirror today and didn't even RECOGNIZE myself. How bad is that?
2. I'm really impressed that you're cooking--we eat pizza, frozen chicken nuggets, and leftovers from dinner at Grandma's house. My poor family.
3. I've always paid babysitters $2/hr/kid but with 4 kids that's going to get really expensive--I like the $5/hr flat rate idea.
4. Hooray for chocolate!

Melissa said...

Oh your girl is sooooo cute! And don't feel bad about the cadbury eggs...those eggs are like crack! Soooo good

Mama Williams said...

Ok I finally gave in a bought a bag of mini eggs- yum! I don't know if I should thank you or hate you. I did go to the gym today,so thanks.

$5/hr for one kid! No Way! We pay what we think they were worth-work, number of kids, etc. A buck a kid an hour at our house is the norm, but since MY girl now bbsits we get out more.

I love the lounging in the laundry pix. I say enjoy it while she still fits in there. Soon enough you'll have her folding it herself. :)

Lisa Cannon said...

I'm in for the road trip. See my comment I left on my blog. Your water just can't break in my car!

I'm eating GS Thin Mints lately. I ate a whole sleeve today, all by my lonesome. Yikes!

Lisa Cannon said...

As far as babysitting goes, we usually pay about $7 for three kids. And I usually round up. I'm feeling really cheap now because of the $15/hour girl. Geeze. I know that I'm the best boss in our neighborhood, other mom's tell me that the girls tell them that I pay the most. I do that just because I want them to come back next time we need a babysitter. It gets expensive. I am in shock about 15/hour. Yikes!

Julie said...

Please just keep eating those eggs. And don't feel guilty. You have lots of time after the baby comes for that!

The Fettucine recipe looks soooo good and I can't wait to try it. Nice and easy that is what I like.

As for the babysitter situation it is going to be a little different out here but we pay our babysitter $7-8/hour. We think that is pretty good. Never let a babysitter tell you what her rate is. You pay her what you can and if she doesn't like it than she can say "no" next time. The way I figure, if they COULD go get a real job they would be making like $5-6/hour and then have some taxes taken out after that. So lets be serious here!! Pay what you want and what you think is fair. And if they don't like it they can go find themselves a real job!

Anonymous said...

Hope your feeling better in about two weeks.

With regards to the baby sitter, I just hope you had a good time out!

Julie said...

Where are you? Has your baby come? I had a dream last night about you and that you had your baby. So I am just checking if my ESP is correct!

Lisa Cannon said...

Where are you??? Did you have the baby???

dave&abby johnson family said...

Is she here?

Anonymous said...

looks like a nice come load all over her face mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm