Sunday, May 25, 2008

My heart and mind

About a week or so ago I was doing some pondering about my life and the things that influence me and my attitude. I really wanted to improve some things and especially my thoughts. For the most part I am a pretty optimistic and happy person, but negative thoughts enter my mind and I find myself gossiping from time to time. I know it's wrong, but sometimes it feels good - like in a venting way. I don't want to be like that and I don't want my kids to ever hear me saying something bad about someone else. They might think it's ok to do the same. My desire for change isn't just about saying things about others, but just my thoughts period about situations and circumstances. So, my new attitude is working so far and it's come from the heart. I know it won't be easy and it will take a lifetime and beyond to change. I said something about someone 8 years ago that wasn't very nice. That person has held a grudge against me for that long and I didn't know until last year. Well, I wasn't going to apologize because I thought my comment was true. This last week there was an opportunity for me to say sorry - I hesitated and justified my actions to myself. Then I thought, what's it going to hurt for me to swallow my pride. I thought it would be hard. Surprisingly, it was EASY and it felt good! I wished I had done that 8 years ago. As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.

6 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

Amen! What a wonderful post. I am the same and need to set some similar goals. My husband doesn't say anything negative about people and it bugs me. We've talked about it and he just says that he has decided not to do it. I explained to him that I NEED to... not to everyone, just to him and isn't that ok to pick one person to say anyhting I want to and that one person is my husband???
Well, I've been thinking and it is the principle of self mastery. Why do I NEED to vent and get things out?? I need to change my thinking all together so those thoughts do not even enter my head!

Anyway, setting new goals...

Rina said...

That's awesome- the apology. Aren't you glad you had the chance and took it!!!

Love the blog thought- Thanks!! I'd rather have people know me for looking at the good in people- rather than pointing out people's faults. Good reminder!

Mama Williams said...

Wow! That is some serious soul searching. Way to Go! It's hard to say sorry! Remember we all have faults to work on and you're an awesome person! Thanks for the push to do better myself. :)

Lisa Cannon said...

That is great that after so long, you apologized. I bet you are feeling so much better now. Way to set a good example to us and to your daughters. You are such a nice person, I can't believe that you ever offended anyone!

We would love to meet for a snow cone!!! I don't know if it is open yet, do you? Let's plan it and we could go to the park after. We should plan a time when a bunch of us bloggers could come. Let me know when is good for you?

Julie said...

What courage! I am proud of you. I am sure I have a lot of those apologies to make unfortunatley. It is amazing how our attitude can effect so much. Our families, children, health, happiness. It is such an important thing. Thank you for reminding me!

Jay and Bec said...

Good for you. You are such a great person! Happy birthday to little Alex as well. I can't believe that she's already 2!! She is such a little cutie!