Saturday, December 27, 2008

Best Christmas Ever!


This year really has been the best Christmas for me in a while. Not that past Christmases weren't good, but this one was extra special. First off, Chris went to church early on Sunday so we couldn't get a family photo with our coordinating outfits, but I got the girls in theirs...pretty sweet.





On Monday one of Chris' best friends Ryan Jensen and his wife Amy and son Jax came to stay with us for 2 days. I'm sad I didn't get more pics but we had the best time with them. Eating, playing games and just hanging out! Please come back again soon!

Then on Wed afternoon we packed up and went over to my sister Tami's house to spend the night. Can you see the excitement...all day we heard "It's Christmas! It's Christmas everyday!" and still tonight, I heard it again. I love that Alexandra is old enough to grasp some of the excitement of this blessed holiday.

All the kids went sledding at the park nearby and had a blast even though it was Freezing! Alex didn't seem to mind, Chris said she laughed and screamed and covered her face as they went down the hill.


After a fabulous time stuffing ourselves with yummy food, Chris read Luke 2 and we sang some Christmas songs. Then I read the story " Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus" and had never read the whole thing, just heard bits of it. I cried. As did my dad, mom and sisters. Then we went around the room and each person told their favorite thing about Christmas or a memory. We then exchanged our cousin gifts that were handmade this year which was my idea. I've been wanting to do this with my family for years and every year they poo-poo my idea. They even tried to get out of it this year but I put my foot down. I was so impressed with my sisters talents...Tami made Alex the cutest dress and Sam the most darling onesie. Alex even hugged it when she opened it! I saw Tam get a little misty eyed. Di made Brynlee a jewelry holder for her wall and Olivia the cutest apron ever and she didn't even use a pattern! Lauren loved her jewelry box and glittered hanging "Dream" I made her and I think Parker liked his man treasure box and "P" I made him. My mom of course was gushing over her kids talents. It really was so sweet to exchange handmade gifts. I hope we do it every year and get the kids involved. We then exchanged our sibling tribute letters (thanks for the idea Kara!) Matt cried over mine I gave him. Pretty touching. I loved mine from Lori, so sweet and kind and I pretty much feel like the cat's meow after she built me up so high! Thanks Lor! We started some new traditions this year that really brought us closer together as a family. There was so much love all around.



Alex and her "best friend" Bentley.


Sam ready for the cold!



Samantha and Reese. They'll be best friends in a couple of years just like their sisters.



After the letters, we opened our p.j's and watched 'Horton Hears a Who' and cuddled with our cousins on the sofa.


After the kids went to bed, Santa's helpers got everything ready. It was crowded but cozy.


In the morning, (6:30 am) the kids got to see what Santa left for them. Alex got this pink rocking horse that trots and neighs and wags its tail. I think it was a hit! (That's her on top hugging it!)




Yesterday my MIL took me and my sister-in-laws to lunch and shopping. It was like Christmas all over again! Thanks for your generosity Monty and Julia, we love you for sharing it with us!


I really had a great time this week spending time with friends and family and sharing the love. With our new traditions I'm sure next year will be just as great!



On a side note, Christmas Day night was pretty low-key it could have been due to the fact that it was a complete blizzard where we live and I opted not to go see 'Marley and Me' with my mom and sisters. I also wanted to be with Chris and the girls. Does anyone have any fun traditons or ideas of something we could start doing next year? It's always been anti-climatic since we really celebrate big Christmas Eve. I don't want my kids to be bored like I was growing up and was this year. We were tired and there wasn't anything on t.v. If you have any ideas, please share.


xoxo






1 comments:

Rina said...

Sounds like a fabulous time. I love your heartfelt (handmade) Christmas!!